I can't remember the last time I was in Olive Garden; it was many many many years ago. Their breadsticks, I recently found out, are very popular and home bakers have been making their own Olive Garden-style breadsticks. All the recipes I found are of the typical soft white bread variety and I chose to adapt this one. The breadsticks flavored lightly with garlic are really soft and great with soup. I had them with baked pork and [black] beans. I love them.
Soft Breadsticks
2 cups unbleached bread flour
1½ teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar1 cup very warm water, 120°F
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, whisk together bread flour, yeast, and sugar. Add water and mix with a spoon or spatula until flour is evenly moistened. Sprinkle all-purpose flour all over and leave for 5 minutes.
- Attach dough hook and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add salt and soft butter. Increase speed to low-medium and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer dough in a lightly greased container, cover tightly with plastic film, and let ferment on the kitchen counter until doubled in bulk, about 1½ to 2 hours.
- Lightly knead dough to remove bubbles. Divide into 2-ounce portions and roll into 7-inch batons. Place on baking sheets 2 inches apart; cover with plastic film and let rise until doubled for 40 to 60 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 12 minutes or until golden in color.
- Remove from oven and immediately brush breadsticks with melted butter. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Serve warm.
the crumb is so soft with just a hint of garlic flavor
0 Comments