My cousin "Char" passed away at far too young an age and even though her parents are also gone, her brother remembered to hold a 17th Year Buddhist service of remembrance for her. I always forget when you're supposed to hold these services so I looked it up.
It's to be held on:
- 49th Day
- One-Year Anniversary
- 3rd Year
- 7th Year
- And years ending in 3 or 7, until the 50th Year
My cousin said it would be a ZOOM service because of the COVID surge in Hawaii and that was reassuring.
I decided to use my MacBook since it has a bigger screen than my iPad which I've used before. I didn't want to use my desktop computer because #1 it doesn't have a camera and #2 it would be difficult for mom to climb the stairs up to my office.
Then I couldn't remember if I needed to download an app or whatever so of course I texted my teenage granddaughter who told me that yes, I needed to do that.
OK, I did that.
At the appointed time, I changed my top, got mom ready and turned it on.
I saw quickly that unless you MUTED yourself, every time you made a sound everybody would only see your picture.
That was weird. I don't recall that happening on the iPad.
OK... I muted our end and it began.
And it was fine. Granted, it wasn't like a regular service, of course, but it felt good to be part of it. It was good to remember Char and all she did for mom when we lived on the mainland. It was good to know what a lovely, beautiful person she was and how lucky we were to have her in our family for even too brief a time.
And of course, that is what the memorial service is all about.

0 Comments