Oh yes, it's been a big day.
As I type, the picture lock off of Gun Barista is in the middle of compression! Woohoo!!!
This morning I got into the editing suite and finished off a gentle trimming of the then 6 minute film, with the added in twenty seconds of footage picked up yesterday. I trimmed off a total of 29 seconds.
With my lead Michael standing over my shoulder, I sat back and watched it in its glory. As the final shot fades out, I looked up to my co-conspirator with a face akin to a five year old gripping their scribbled masterpiece.
'Needs some more trimming.'
The fact that I was already headed out the door may have saved Michael's life. Because the only thing worse than automated enjoyment, is the very correct critical analysis.
When I returned home, I jumped straight back into the edit, and tore things out mercilessly. Frame by frame, I scoured through the film, finding exactly the things he was talking about. Damn his fresh eyes!
An hour later, I had pulled another 30 seconds out. When Irene got home, I ran her through the earlier edit, then the 5 minute version. It was really a no brainer as to which one was better.
Having finalized the picture, I then added all the credits in. Sounds easy? Not when you need to peruse the small tome of Final Cut to find out what you're doing, then trying to figure out the order to put it in. So I went off this page for the ordering, and the titles were actually a breeze to get my head around.
Picture lock off means there will be no more edit changes to the picture, but it still requires colour correction, a musical score and sound effects added.
The musical score is sorted, and today I also managed to sort through all the ADR I took of Michael yesterday, as well as the foley for coffee machine sounds. In the morning I'll finish labeling the rest of the sound files, now mostly just footsteps, hand swipes and cup sounds.
First day of a new decade, and things are starting off nicely!
0 Comments