Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

IWSG - Goals, The Horror Fiction Review, #IWSGPit, and Links

It's the first...wait, Tuesday? Yep, we're posting today for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, because tomorrow's the 4th of July. Typically, we post on the first Wednesday of the month, but we make an exception for the Fourth! IWSG is the brain child of Alex J. Cavanaugh, created to seek and gain support from fellow insecure writers. You can sign up by clicking on Alex's name and adding your blog to the list.



Quick note before we begin. If you didn't receive your IWSG newsletter this month, go HERE to sign up again. You may have been purged if you missed the GDPR message asking you to opt in. If you try to sign up and it says you're already signed up, shoot me an email so I can look into it. And if you've never signed up? Now's a great time! Click on "HERE" above and sign up. It only takes a few seconds!

Another note: #IWSGPit is July 19! Get your Twitter pitches ready. Over 1000 agents and publishers have been invited to watch the feed that day, and several authors found homes for their books in the January #IWSGPit!


The co-hosts this month are Nicki Elson, Juneta Key, Tamara Narayan, and Patricia Lynne!

The optional question is What are your ultimate writing goals, and how have they changed over time (if at all)?

I don't know if I have an ultimate writing goal. I have a series of smaller goals, like getting a story in a Best Horror of the Year collection and getting a novel traditionally published. Looking at big future goals both excites me and scares the crap out of me. I want to be a recognized author, but I also know I lose some of my freedom then. Plus, I have this perpetual fear of having too much attention.


Speaking of getting attention, Blue Sludge Blues & Other Abominations was reviewed on The Horror Fiction Review. Check it out!



Each month I review my submission stats for the previous month to keep myself accountable. Here are June's stats:

Short Stories
0 rejections
0 acceptances
3 submissions
1 invitation to submit
Currently on submission: 12, with 2 short listed

Novels
1 rejection
1 request for 50 pages
Currently out to: 2 agents



Now for some links. Bear in mind I'm not endorsing these, merely passing them along. Always do your own due diligence before submitting.

Accepting Submissions:

Body Parts Magazine is seeking horror in the theme of Aliens, Apocalypse, and Armageddon for their fall/winter edition. Up to 8000 words. Pays up to $20 for fiction. Deadline August 1.

The First Line is seeking flash fiction beginning with the following sentence: The window was open just enough to let in the cool night air. Up to 5000 words. Pays up to $50 for fiction. Deadline August 1.

Jolly Horror Press is seeking humorous horror stories for Don't Cry to Mama. It needs to be about something your mama may have told you not to do. Up to 6000 words. Pays $25. Deadline August 1.

Cemetery Dance Publications is seeking short horror and dark fiction for their magazine. Up to 5000 words. Pays $.05/word. Deadline July 5.

Flapperhouse is seeking surreal works. Up to 5000 words. Pays $.01/word. 

The Baffler is seeking humorous pieces. Pays a token amount.

What's your insecurity? Do you have long term goals you're willing to share? What are your submission stats for the month of June? Any of these links of interest? Anything to share?

May you find your Muse.


*Flourish One, Horizontal Clip Art by OCAL, clker.com

Post a Comment

0 Comments